Sunday, May 1, 2011

Kickin' Fiesta Chicken

Happy week of Cinco De Mayo!

Kyle and I don’t celebrate Cinco De Mayo…we acknowledge the day and I make a Mexican type of meal but that is about it.  I know there are people that love Cinco De Mayo and go out and celebrate (drink) until the wee hours of the morning but that is just not us.  =)

In honor of Cinco De Mayo this coming Thursday I made some kickin’ fiesta chicken!  Every now and then I make a shredded chicken recipe and I love it, problem is Kyle doesn’t.  He doesn’t really care for shredded meats so that means, I don’t make them too much.  =(  Life will go on!

There are so many different shredded chicken recipes out there and I have tried many of them.  They are all good but there was always a little something missing.  This recipe is something that I threw together and didn’t follow any kind of recipe.  SOMETIMES, these meals turn out to be the best ones.  Notice that I said sometimes, I have had plenty that were total flops.  It happens when you cook and bake a lot!

SOURCE: Me

This recipe makes a rather large batch which is nice if you are wanting left overs.  I put our left overs into a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer.  It'll make a perfect quick meal.  

SERVES: 4-6 

INGREDIENTS

2 chicken breasts (frozen or defrosted, mine were frozen)
1 cup of water
1 packet of taco seasoning (remember you could always just make your own)
1 can of kidney beans (these were the only beans that I had on hand, they were perfect though)
1 medium tomato (diced)

DIRECTIONS

Place chicken breasts in crock pot.
Pour all ingredients into crock pot.
Cover and cook 7-8 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high. 

Like I was saying, I just threw this recipe together one morning so the nice thing is that you can take things out or add things in that you think might be missing. 

Example:  Next time I make shredded chicken burritos I will try using pinto beans, a can of diced green chilies and maybe a can of spicy tomatoes.  =)
 



XoXo
Valerie

2 comments:

  1. I love how easy and delicious this chicken recipe is! :) I'll be saving this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie - that is what I love as well is how simple it it. You will love it!

    ReplyDelete