Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fresh Spring Pasta



Spring is here!  Mid-May already, crazy!  One of my favorite things about spring is the food!  I do like the weather and the beautiful flowers as well but the fresh produce is the best!  I could live off of fruits and veggies in the spring and summer months. 

Here in Tennessee they have an amazing Farmers Market that I have been going to every Saturday morning.  It is awesome!  There are tons of people selling produce, breads, crafts, flowers and all different kinds of foods.  Good times!

We don’t eat pasta all that often even though I love it.  Kyle is not the biggest pasta fan so that is the main reason I don’t make it much, the other reason being that is it pretty unhealthy.  I use to only make white pasta but I have recently decided to only make whole wheat pasta and I don’t mind it at all.

This recipe is so simple it is ridiculous! I had some fresh asparagus that I was dying to use up and had some left over mushrooms that needed to be used, so that is just what I googled.  Up popped this lovely recipe so I went with it.  One thing that I love about all recipes is the reviews.  I don’t think I have ever made a recipe from all recipes without reading some of the reviews.  They are so helpful and give you little tips and hints and what to do differently.
 
For this particular recipe there were some comments stating that there wasn’t all that much flavor but that it was delicious. I decided to just add a little salt and pepper and see what I thought about the recipe for myself.  Now I know that the next time I make this pasta dish I will be adding a little somethin' somethin'.  I think that I will add some diced onions and maybe some diced garlic.  I did love home light this recipe was as well as how fresh it tasted.  There are a lot of pasta dishes with veggies but a lot of times there is a sauce that covers everything up and makes it unhealthy. 
        

SERVES: 4

INGREDIENTS

1/2 pounds fresh asparagus (trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces)
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms (sliced)
8 oz. angel hair pasta (any pasta would work)
1 T. olive oil
1/2 t. crushed red pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
I added salt and pepper to taste just to give it a little more flavor.  

DIRECTIONS

Cook pasta according to package instructions.
Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet.
Sauté asparagus in the pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
Add chicken broth and mushroom slices; cook 3 minutes more.
Drain pasta, and transfer to a serving dish.
Gently toss pasta with asparagus mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan and crushed red pepper. 




XOXO
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment