Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Overnight Oats


When I first heard of overnight oats I was really confused.   Are they cold? Are they hot? What does it taste like? Is it bland?  These were all things that I was asking myself and I was too embarrassed to ask questions to anyone so I just did the research on my own.  

Turns out they are cold, spiced just to your own liking and tastes amazing!! I first heard of these when I was reading a blog a while back.  I got hooked on this blog and she was always eating overnight oats so I was drawn in.  Let me just say that I am glad that I tried them and it is now one of my favorite breakfasts.  During the hot summer days (mornings) the last thing that I want to eat is piping hot oatmeal.  Something cool and refreshing sounds so much better to me.  

These do require a LITTLE planning ahead but not much.  It takes maybe 3 minutes to whip this up at night and about 2 minutes to garnish it in the morning.  Not bad…5 minutes total for a healthy hearty breakfast…SCORE! 

SOURCE: A combination of two different places.
1.        http://eatliverun.com/
2.       www.sparkrecipes.com

Between these two sites I guess you could say that I made my own little recipe but that is where I got the original idea from.

INGREDIENT

This will make about 1 serving.

1 cup oats (rolled, quick, either will work)
¼ cup almond milk or coconut milk (I have used both and like them both.)
½ cup greek yogurt (I use plain, nonfat.)

Toppings (Add in the AM)

Spices of choice
Fruit of choice

I use whatever fruit I have on hand.  For my spices I usually add cinnamon and brown sugar.  Sometimes I add a drizzle of honey, a spoonful of peanut butter or a spoonful of almond butter.

DIRECTIONS

The night before:

Mix together first 4 ingredients in a bowl and cover. 
Place in fridge to chill overnight.

In the morning:

Add toppings and stir. 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment